Sunday 30 April 2017

Sunday Stuff

Today was a very, very busy Sunday!

Sunday school went well, and I think they understand the concept of the fruit of the Spirit. I emphasized that you can't break the fruit into separate fruits, but need all of them, and that they all work together. Then we had a special snack of Kinder® Surprise® eggs, and we were thankful for post-Easter chocolate sales! Near the beginning of class we had a wonderful interruption: a family who had moved away 9 months ago has moved back and this was their first Sunday back in Sunday school. They were a bit late, but we were too happy to mind!

The service was really good (I've included one of the hymns below). Pastor Mike preached on Ephesians 3:20-21. You can listen to it here. I found the reminder that we have working in us the same power that raised Christ from the dead, and gave us life as well to be a perfectly timed blessing for me today (Mike said it way better than that, so you should just go and listen to him). We ended with communion, which is always a serious and yet joyous time.

After the service we had our last-Sunday-of-the-month soup-and-sandwich lunch. I was ordered to join a group of teenage girls (by one of the girls), so I did. I like spending time with them, so I was quite willing to obey!

Next, we had baptisms: 10 people were baptized today. It was really, really good to hear their testimonies and how God has worked in so many lives in so many different ways. Some of "my" kids were baptized today; one of them I've known since he was a baby (he's around 13 now). I love watching them grow up and grow in their faith.

Finally, we had an elder appreciation time. It was just a short bit, with one of the men talking for all of us to our elders and their wives, letting them know that we love them. I think he did a good job, talking to each on specifically about why we love him (and his family). There were flowers and notes and gifts, and I think not a few tears. It was good.

And now I'm at home, washing baptismal robes, and wondering if I should head out for a walk before it starts to rain (it seems to be clouding over). I think I'll head out when I put the next lot in the dryer.



No comments: