Sunday 9 April 2017

Sunday Stuff

We finally finished the order of salvation this morning in Sunday School. I showed them where Paul refers to all believers as saints, and explained that when we become Christians, we are called saints by God (although we are not yet perfect). We also talked about how sanctification is an on-going process, and is a combination of our work and the Holy Spirit's power. I really pounded that one home; I do not want them thinking that they have to do all the work, nor do I want them to think that they can just sit back and wait for God to do stuff in them.

We are enforcing the "parents need to pick up their children after Sunday School" policy. For a while, parents were sending older siblings, or just taking forever to get their children (perhaps waiting for us to stop waiting and bring the children out). The issue with older siblings is that they tend to come with their friends, and there really isn't much room for that many people; also, they don't leave quickly and quietly. This seems to be going well, except for that one mom I overheard today muttering about what nonsense it was to have to pick up her children rather than sending a sibling. I wish parents would understand that we're not trying to make their lives harder. We're trying to make it easier for the Sunday School teachers (who would like to have a few minutes between Sunday School and the service to at least find a seat), but our primary reason is to make sure the children are safe, that they get to their parents, and that they don't wander off somewhere. I didn't respond to the mom (who seemed to talking half to herself and half to her small child as they headed off to get a slightly older child), since everything I was thinking was rather sarcastic. Sometimes I can keep my mouth shut!

Here is this week's hymn for you. I really like it, and it uses "propitiation" which is a great word to find in a hymn.

No comments: