Friday 27 June 2008

Stuff

Where did all the stuff come from???? I've been sorting through stuff; my landlady's daughter is having a garage sale next weekend and anything I don't want (or don't want to pack) that ends up in the garage will get sold. It's good to get rid of stuff, but ten boxes of books and stuff and two garbage bags of clothes (and I'm not quite done the sorting or the big bookcase) is a lot of stuff that I don't need or want but own anyway.

It's got me thinking. What is with this need to accumulate stuff? Why do I shop? It's not because I need stuff (well, not always) or I wouldn't be able to get rid of so much of it. There's some part of me that wants to own stuff. It's the joy of ownership but it doesn't last, and I end up buying more stuff. It's not good. I need to learn to be content with what I already have.

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

I hear ya there. You should see the stuff we got rid of when mom was on her first and second cruise. Then Alex made 140 bucks having a bake/yard sale last weekend with more stuff. It never ends.