Thursday 16 July 2009

Happy Henday!

You didn't know that tomorrow is Henday? It's a very important day that we set aside to celebrate chickens, a very important part of our diet. After all, they provide us with eggs and... well... chicken. Surely you plan to celebrate!

Perhaps an explanation is in order. Sunday evening a friend and her 6 year old son were driving me home from church when we crossed Anthony Henday Drive. The boy pointed out the Henday and then asked what a Henday is. His mom was nice enough to tell him that it was named after a person. I told him that it was the day set aside to celebrate chickens. He liked my version better (go figure). He laughed and asked when Henday is. I didn't know, so I asked him what he thought and he said "Friday." Then he asked how we celebrate Henday so his mom and I asked him what he thought (I should really think about the details before saying whatever comes to mind).

He wanted fireworks high up in the sky and balloons on the roof of the house. We convinced him that the celebration had to involve chickens, like drawing pictures of chickens or eating chicken. He agreed, adding that we can eat eggs too and sugar (all his celebrations have to involve sugar in some form).

I've already apologised to his mom for telling him about Henday. I hope he forgets, but he assures me that he won't, so I suspect they may be celebrating Henday soon. Well, as long as he stays away from fireworks it should be all good!

Happy Henday everyone!

No comments: