Tuesday 28 July 2009

What I'm NOT Reading

I'm starting preliminary research for my essays today. Step one is to see if the public library has anything useful. Usually I can get some general information from them and use the bibliographies is those books to find better books elsewhere. From there I'll move on to inter-library loans and then the university library.

Anyway, I entered "New Testament" as my search term and found a couple books that I will definitely not be reading:

The yoga of Jesus : understanding the hidden teachings of the gospels : selections from the writings of Paramahansa Yogananda 1st ed. Yogananda, Paramahansa, 1893-1952.

Jesus, interrupted : revealing the hidden contradictions in the Bible (and why we don't know about them) 1st ed. Ehrman, Bart D.
(Side note: can anyone find the problem with that title?)

The first book claims that Jesus knew and taught yoga (a claim of which I am highly skeptical). The second book, based in its description on Amazon and the reader comments, is pure heresy. It claims that Jesus, Matthew, John, and someone else, were all writing about different religions.

So that's what I'm not reading. I'm going to check whether or not they have anything worth reading.

No comments: