Tuesday 21 July 2009

Thinking About Stuff

There was a time when I just accepted life the way it was. I went along with everything and never really put a lot of deep thought into what people were saying or teaching.

Now people are making me think. The elders at my church are the worst (or best) for this. They won't let me sit back and accept everything and they won't just give me answers (well, they will if I really can't figure it out). For example, there was a song we sung in church that one of the elders had a bit of an issue with and he wouldn't tell me what, he just asked me why the line was a problem...and I had to think...and I knew the answer! Which was kind of nice, actually!

The thing is, I'm doing it all the time now. I do it when we're singing in church and when I'm listening to sermons, even sermons by people I trust completely. And sometimes I disagree with what I hear. Sometimes I disagree with what the elders tell me (but don't tell them!). Actually, they're okay with disagreement. It's hardest for me because I'm sure they must be right and I'm not always good at verbalizing my point and I still think people will laugh at me because they either won't understand me or I'll be wrong (which is unfair to the people who have never laughed at me). There are people that it is safe to disagree with out loud.

Okay...back to the point...

It's good, this habit of thinking things through, even if it's work. Even if I agree with most of what I hear, which I do. It keeps me from getting lazy and from possibly letting untruths leak through when I don't expect it. So maybe I should thank the people who make me think.

No comments: