Saturday 4 July 2009

The List

A couple years ago at a work retreat we were encouraged to make a list of 100 things we want to do before we die. It was one of those "you can do/be whatever you want if you just believe in yourself and think positively" things. Anyway, eventually I tried to make a list (I only got to 86 things) and put it aside.

A couple weeks ago I was looking at the list again. What struck me is how completely self-centered it is. That makes sense, right? It is a list of what I want to do. And there was nothing bad on the list. But it bothered me that everything on there was to make me happy and bring me glory. That isn't supposed to be my goal in life; it's supposed to be to serve God and glorify Him.

So I tossed the list. I'm not sure what exactly I should want to do before I die, only that it has to focus on what God desires: obedience, service, sacrifice.

1 comment:

The Martins Home said...

I haven't seen you in a while. But this post is where I want to be too. Should call me sometime. I will email you a number.
Kathleen