Tuesday 2 April 2024

Blood Work

I saw the doctor a couple weeks ago (nothing major; just a bad knee from a couple falls and some "I am getting older and need help dealing with the symptoms, especially the one where I don't sleep enough"). My doctor, of course, sent me for blood work, because that's what doctors do.

Today was blood work day. For those who may be wondering why it took me almost 2 weeks: Today was the first day I was free enough to book an appointment. I wouldn't go without one; when I was in the waiting room, I heard them say that the wait was 45 minutes to an hour. 

My issue with having blood taken: I have small, rather hidden veins. Only once has someone been able to get the blood on the first try. Today it took the phlebotomist two tries. First she tried in my left arm (the right one is even worse) and finally found a vein and stuck in the needle, but the blood was flowing slowly and eventually gave up. She tried to find a vein in my right arm but that arm was having none of this "blood work" nonsense and all the veins hid too well for her to even try poking me with a needle. In the end, it took warm water compresses on my arm and then my hand before she was able to get a good vein on my hand and, with the other phlebotomist switching vials for her, was able to take my blood. They actually took extra in the second vial just in case the blood stopped before they had enough in the third one.

The ladies were very nice and apologized for having to stick me twice, but I assured them that I was used to it. The worst was the time I had to be poked three times (each arm and a hand), so they did well!

And that was my adventure in having blood taken. 

No comments: