Friday 8 February 2008

Depth

I was talking with a friend recently and mentioned the idea of "depth" in relation to Christianity. Specifically, we were talking about a friend who had tried some internet dating services and said that all the Christian men she met lacked depth. The friend I was talking with feels that depth can be measured by your willingness to set aside differences and get along. She feels that we need to focus on what we have in common and as long as we agree on "the cross" nothing else matters. She believes in compromise: you attend her church on Saturday and his on Sunday, for example. As long as you're both Christians, nothing else should matter to you.
I don't agree. I don't think that differences should stand in the way of friendships (or I'd have to stop being friends with this friend, so start with), but I don't think we can always just focus on what we have in common. There are differences that are important, and when it comes to serious relationships, they are worth considering. It seems to me that being willing to set aside or ignore what I believe (and I'm talking doctrine, not preferences) is proof of the shallowness of my beliefs rather than of depth. Yes, there are times to compromise, but there are also times to stand firm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Compromise Sister.