Tuesday 26 February 2008

When denial fails

I work with children all the time. The sticky, messy, germy, throwing-up-at-work-and-coughing-in-my-face kind of children. In theory I should be sick all winter thanks to these children. I have always insisted that the reason I stay healthy is denial: I don't have time to be sick, I refuse the acknowledge that I'm sick, and I simply tell the assorted ailments to come back when I have more time.

Denial has failed. I have a cold. I'm stuffy and snuffly and miserable and trying to refrain from coughing all over those rotten kids who are responsible for this. I don't do sick very well unless I can hide from the world, sleep for a couple days, and get over it. Only I can't. I'm not sick enough (in my mind) to justify not working or studying or doing whatever it is I should be doing right now instead of blogging. I'm just too sick to do it all cheerfully.

I do not have the time or patience for this nonsense, so I am going to go and work on denial. I am not sick. I am not sick. I am not sick.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Good luck with the denial approach. lol.

pbfwood said...

You aren't invincible? My big sister is sick. That just can't be right!! Hope you feel better really soon.

Dorothy said...

Did you not listen? I AM NOT SICK!!! I'm just losing my voice a bit. I'm sure it will make its way back to me soon.

pbfwood said...

If I see your voice i'll be sure to send it back.