Monday 7 July 2008

First Day of Classes

I love being a student. I love being in classes, listening, taking notes, learning and learning and learning. It was a long day and by the end I was so tired I could hardly think but it is completely worth it.

This morning I had Introduction to Biblical Studies with Dr Paul Thorsell. Dr Thorsell is in his early 50's and is a very good teacher. We have class notes that he follows fairly well but he will get off on occasion to illustrate a point and he expands on the notes as well. He walks around some when he teaches and sits on the edge of the desk when he's answering questions. So far it's mostly lecture but he stops to make sure we're all understanding and he's okay with interruptions for clarification.

In the afternoon I have Hermeneutics with Abner Chou. Abner is very different; he's younger, to start with (not yet 30; it's a bit strange to learn that I'm older than my teacher) and more animated. He uses illustrations, analogies, and hastily drawn pictures, charts, diagrams, etc. as he teaches. Abner is more informal but very passionate about the truth and the Bible. I'm not sure which one I prefer as I am learning well from both of them.

I am so happy that I came and I thank God all the time for letting me be here. The days are long and tiring but the teaching is so good I don't think I'll ever get enough.

Favourite quote (during a story about a minister totally misusing scripture):
"You're wielding a double-edged sword and waving it around like it's a butter knife."

3 comments:

pbfwood said...

I'm glad you are having fun being a student again. It's great you can learn from both teachers, who teach so differently.

Anonymous said...

If I weren't so happy for you that you get to be there, I would be so jealous!
Glad to hear that things are going well.

Anonymous said...

Sorry ,that annon comment was from me (Dawn)