Friday 1 July 2011

Canada Day

I realized this morning that last Canada Day I was very busy and promised a proper, patriotic Canada Day post at the end of summer when I might be less busy. Research has shown that I never wrote that post. Research has also shown that I requested that someone remind me to write it and nobody did. For that reason alone I'm not feeling guilty about my neglect.

However....it's a year later and I'm a bit more relaxed, so I'll give it a shot.

Canada is a great country. Really, it is. It's big, it has an amazing array of nature: mountains, prairies, amazing forests.... I don't know why anyone would live anywhere else (except maybe to avoid winter). Actually, I like the change of seasons as well; I missed winter when I was in Taiwan. Canada also has a good medical system (yes, yes, not perfect, but what is) and an education system that is open to everyone (and I know that's not perfect either, but it beats out countries where you can't go to school if you're not rich enough or if you're a girl).

Yesterday: I went to work at a job I found on my own, that I can quit if I want to, and that pays enough to live comfortably, and don't feel intimidated by the people in charge. I took public transportation to get there in relative comfort. I stopped to get iced coffee from a coffee shop where they know me by name and are open and friendly. I spoke with parents who want the best for their children and taught children who have multiple opportunities ahead of them and who are growing up in a safe society. After work I went to the grocery store where I am always overwhelmed by the variety and amount of food. I walked home without fear, I entered a safe apartment with reliable electricity and hot running water. I surfed the net without restrictions and watched a video and read whatever I wanted.

Every Sunday I go to church and teach the children about God and sing out with other believers and listen to a pastor preaching soundly from the Word....all without fear of arrest or execution.

Every election I get to vote and no one tries to intimidate me.

I'm a female, and I can work and drive (if I wanted to) and walk the streets in whatever clothes I like and go to school without fear of arrest or persecution.

I know Canada has problems because no country is perfect. It will never be perfect this side of heaven.

Given a choice, though (and here I have a choice to move within the country or move to another country if I want), I think I'll stay.

No comments: