Sunday 17 July 2011

Sunday in California

I'm back at Master's. Classes start tomorrow, so yesterday was for settling in and catching up, today is for church and socializing in the evening (most of us are resting more this afternoon).

Notes from so far....

It's more fun to travel with someone than alone, even if we both spent time both on the plane and the shuttle sleeping (or dozing).

There are a lot of people here who I don't know yet, although I know some from last year and I've been getting to know others. There are other girls in my classes (yay) and at least one is from Canada.

Canadians are slowly and politely taking over the school. We have some competition, though, from Texans.

It hasn't been too hot yet, although too much time in the sun is still too much for me. It's supposed to get hotter, but most of the week I'll be inside.

We went to Grace Community Church this morning. The sermon was good, about how being a christian should lead us to fear God and willingly submit to Him, and there was communion. After the service I stopped by the bookstore and bought more books and a CD. After that, we went to one of the smaller groups (smaller than the service, bigger than my church) where the lesson was about Christ's temptation. It was also very good. Later I went to the visitor's centre, mostly because I knew they'd have juice or water (they did) and had a nice chat with some guy who handed me a free book.

With all that good teaching and worship you'd think I wouldn't miss my own church family, but I did. I love being with them best.

We went to the Stone Fire Grill for lunch. The food there is good, the price is good, and the portions are very generous. I had the petite macaroni and cheese and it was quite enough for me (and very good).

Later tonight, when we've recovered from lunch, some of us are planning to maybe go for pizza (although some people have leftovers from lunch; the portions are very, very generous).

So far it's been nice, relaxing, fun. Tomorrow the work starts. I think classes will also be fun, but a bit more strenuous mentally!

No comments: