I am thankful that our missionaries are okay. One couple is still in the U.S. on furlough, and the other couple was not affected. They've been able to contact everyone from the church, and they are all okay. Some of them cannot go home yet as they live in apartment buildings that may not be safe, so other church members are taking care of them.
My heart aches, though, for those who were injured, left homeless, lost family members, or were otherwise hugely impacted. I am praying for them, for the first responders on the scene, and for their very new president.
It is interesting how knowing a tiny bit of the country/area and a very few people can make affect my response. It's not that I don't pray for people and are concerned for people when I hear about disasters and such, but this one is more. My prayers are more urgent, my heart aches more, and I am more eager to learn how I can give to help the people. These are my people.
I can't help in every disaster, just as I can't help every cause or concern in the world, and it's okay that this one is closest to my heart. I wonder, though, if there's a way to become more aware of people in other places, to have the same passion and urgency in my prayers for them. After all, all believers everywhere are also my people. It's something for me to think about, anyway.

No comments:
Post a Comment