Monday, 24 August 2026

Schedules

In my attempts to be more productive and to know and love God more (both goals work together, as even productivity is for God's glory), I have been making schedules. Then, because they're either too precise to work, or forget too many things, or there are too many interruptions, or normal seasonal changes, I have been scrapping schedules. 

This summer was a bit different. I tried starting with a schedule, but gave it up quickly. Much of the point of this summer has been rest and restoration. It's been the first real summer off in forever; even when I stopped working much all summer, I still had fall ministry prep to do. This year, I didn't have any of that. And, as I was reminded, it is okay, and even important, to use this time for refreshment. So, while there were bits of work here and there, I largely used the time to ignore schedules and relax. 

It's almost the end of August, and I'm feeling better than I did in June and July. I've just started working on putting together curriculum for The Pilgrim's Progress for Sunday School next year, not because I have to, but because I was ready to. I finished a baby blanket and started two more (because there will always be more babies and because one is easier to work on when I'm out and the other only at home). Also, work will start up slowly in September and then really get going in about 5 weeks.

This week, I decided to try a schedule again. I want to use my time well, I want time for prayer and Bible study and reading. I want to remember that leaving the house is a good thing, and turning off the computer is even better.

My schedule is simple. It has morning prayer time, mealtimes, walking times, and three specific break times: one before lunch for Bible reading, one in the afternoon for studying, and one in the evening to shut things down and go into evening routine. The rest of the time is empty and intended for doing whatever I want/need to do.

Morning times are set on paper, but flexible in my mind because I don't yet have a "get up" time. It's still summer and I can still sleep a little later. It's more a "do it in this order" schedule.

It will only last a few weeks; in October, there will be meetings and more meeting for about 9 weeks, and that will break any schedule most days. If it works, though, it will be my "day off" schedule and then my "winter break" schedule.

To help with the break times, I have alarms set on my phone; they're the 10-minutes, wrap things up, get ready to transition warnings. I think they will help.

I have been praying about my schedule and my desire to spend time with God. I think this will help me stay on track better without getting bogged down in details.

If I remember, I'll report back at the end of September.

No comments: