July was full of reading books recommended by children and families, and I'm almost done the list. I have a few on hold at the library; once they're in and read, that goal is complete. Until I start meetings again in the fall and get a new list!
Here are the ones I really liked:
- Britfield and the Lost Crown; Britfield and the Rise of the Lion by C.R. Stewart
- The first Britfield book is all adventure, escape, and running from bad guys through England; the second one is all adventure, escape, and running from more and worse bad guys through France! There's intrigue, danger, and (in the second book) a major, world-wide conspiracy headed by some very, very bad guys with amazing tech. The fighting gets more intense and there are more casualties, but it's never gory or excessive.
- An added bonus: The author includes history and other information about the areas the kids are traveling through.
- There are two more books out (and another one coming), but the library doesn't have them, so I haven't read them. I know that one takes place in Italy, and I think the next in Austria.
- The Restorationists trilogy by Carolyn Leiloglou
- The job of restorationists is to restore paintings, especially after the distortionists have damaged them. The best part is how they do it: by traveling into and through paintings! Of course, there's adventure, confusion, and danger, but also a lot of fun and some facts about artists and artwork.
- The stories are interesting in that they each focus on a different young restorationist and his or her specific challenges (anger, jealousy, fear), while telling the story of the battle between good and evil. It's very well done. I wish there were more books!
- The Complete Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem
- The stories are fun, simple, and entertaining. The main attraction, for me at least, is the artwork. It's so wonderful and detailed!
- Mac Undercover by Mac Barnett and Mike Lowry
- The story is okay, silly, and will be enjoyed by children. I do not like that the author claims that the book (and the series) are true, and that when he was a kid, he was a spy. I don't like that sort of dishonesty in books; let's not confuse children about real and make-believe. Yes, the story is so far-fetched that it's unbelievable, but some children may believe it. Aside from that, the story was fine and the illustrations are good.
- Pax by Sara Penny Packer
- The story contains war, violence (against humans and animals), and an adult's PTSD from a previous war, including her telling a child about killing a man. I would absolutely not give it to younger children, nor to many in the preteen or early teen age.
- It's also very much pro-nature and anti-human.
- It's officially recommended for 8-12 year olds, with some upping the age to 10-14. I would say that the reading level is accurate for the younger age, but the content level is better for older children (maybe even older than 14).
- If you want to have your child read it anyway, read it first. Then you'll be ready for hard conversations and potential nightmares.
That's the list for now. It's been a fun month of reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment